Friday, November 26, 2010

Post-Holiday Blues and Thankfulness

I have realized that 1) being without family on the holidays really sucks and, not that nobody else doesn't know this, 2) I really can't wait to leave Utah. Oddly enough both realizations are connected. I hate being without my family on a major holiday. Thanksgiving and Christmas are meant to be spent with your family. I'm lucky that I did get to spend it with some family, but those that I really want to see and spend time with are so far away. I hate being spread all over the States! Because I'm really missing my family, it's really making me dislike being in Utah. Everyone knows my feelings towards the not so great state of Utah. I don't see anything great about this place. There is only one kind of person here: a conservative Mormon. While these kind of people are OK, in small bunches, an entire state of them is lacking in diversity. There are a few random liberal non-Mormons scattered around, but I'm lucky if I can find any! I despair of ever finding someone for me. I don't fit the standard around here. To be even considered for dating you have to be: 1) Mormon 2)Blond 3)Skinny and 4)Desirous to be absolutely, completely dependent upon your husband, not necessarily that order! Happily, I'll never be that, but finding someone who will appreciate me for me here is harder than finding that proverbial needle! I have some friends, but they are happily in relationships...so guess who's been forgotten?? (Answer here) You win a prize if you guessed correctly!

I hate all of this complaining. I'm just having a sad moment, because once again, I'm feeling sad and alone.

Even though it's the day after Thanksgiving, I'll list some of the things I'm thankful for:
1. My family-my parents and my sisters are the most amazing people and I wish that everyone had a family like mine.
2. My education-I know that I wouldn't be who I am today without it. It has opened my mind and broadened my thinking.
3. The myriad of little things in my life-all of the things that make me smile, make my life simpler and better. They go from good music to a warm shower to socks.

I should put more, but those are the two things that I'm most grateful for. It's easy for me to forget what I'm thankful for, so this holiday is a good reminder, not only for me but for everyone, to stop and think and thank.

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that the upcoming Christmas season will be spectacular for you!

Love you all!!